There are five regions in Africa. The Pan African Strategy & Policy Research Group is asking for the sixth one that will accomodate all Africans who live outside the continent. Do you agree? The group had a brainstorming session in Accra, Ghana
PANAFSTRAG, as an international organization, is managed by a Board, the composition of which reflects regional, linguistic and gender representation. The President presides over the Board.
PANAFSTRAG have national chapters, which are run in line with the Constitution of the organization.
The current International Secretariat of PAN AFSTRAG is in Lagos-Nigeria, and it is run by an Executive Secretary, Programme Officers and Administrative Support Staff.
Motto : “Original thinking, research help add to human knowledge…… we do and turn knowledge into the service of global Africans” - Dr. J. K. Aggrey (1875-1927)
The Challenges: In the 21st century, civil society movements in favour of stability, safety and development face many challenges: not only wars and arms proliferation climate change but also human rights violations, discrimination, hate and ignorance, emergencies, and abuse of the earth resources. Millions are now mobilizing to oppose the process of globalization and inequality, which breeds conflicts of all kinds. What is needed is a ‘globalisation of safety and stability that promote human values and sustainable solution for political and socio-economic development.
These challenges are 1. African and Diaspora, History and Culture 2. Human Security (freedom from want and freedom from fear) 3. Technology and Entrepreneurship 4. Integration – National, Regional, Continental and Diaspora 5. Synergy with the Diaspora 6. Climate Change and its impact on Human Security
PANAFSTRAG, was founded in 1992 to provide an in-depth study and analyses of the challenges of political stability, safety and development in Africa and propose policy options and strategies for these issues while synergising the potentials of its Diaspora for executing these policies.
PAN-AFSTRAG’S role Is to carry out action-oriented research and studies for positive impact and change on the above challenges as they affect the African Continent and its Diaspora through its national and regional chapters in the countries of Africa and the Diaspora.
ACTIVITIES OF PANAFSTRAG IN AFRICA AND DIASPORA
Africa and Diaspora Synergy
¨African Heritage, History and Culture
¨Technology, Economy and Trade
¨Stability, Security and Development
Micro Disarmament in Africa
¨ NEPAD (Business Against Small Arms)
¨ Small arms/Light weapons
Security Studies and Management
¨ Defence Economics – Resource Management
¨ Civil Security Sector Relations
¨ Security Sector Reforms (including Police and Paramilitary).
¨ Multi-Track Early Response
¨ Peace Support Operations or Stability Restoration Operations including Civilians in PSOs
¨ Restorative justice and Reconciliation
¨ Demobilization, Disarmament, Rehabilitation and Reintegration
Post - Conflict Reconstruction and Development
¨ Use of Military Assets
¨Disaster Prevention and Management
¨The 4 Rs of Refugees, IDPs and Persons of Concern
¨Use of Military Assets in Epidemics and Pandemics.
¨ Climate change and the Environment
¨ Nuclear, Biological & Chemical Weapons
¨ Convention on certain conventional weapons 1980 + Protocols
¨ Governance –Political, Corporate and Social Modern
¨ Institute for Peace and Sustainable Development
Studies, Minna, Nigeria.
PANAFSTRAG membership is open to all Africans and People of African Descent Worldwide.
National Chapters are to be made up of eminent scholars, senior military officers, public servants, business executives and other persons with interests, and proven capacity for research and intellectual discourses on African and Diaspora
To provide an in-depth study and analysis of the problems of political and social stability, security and public safety and socio-development in Africa and its Diaspora, propose policy options for their solutions and the implementation strategies;
• To provide a forum for the discussion and exchange of ideas, knowledge, expertise and experience through seminars, workshops, conferences, roundtables and study groups of African and Afro-Descendant scholars, security experts, policy makers and implementors;
• To publish books, monographs, occasional papers, newsletters and such other publications that will support the aims and objectives of PANAFSTRAG, inform policy makers and enlighten the general public;
• To create the bridge, bond and the linkage between Africans and Afro-Descendants for sharing best practice in community security and social issues and economic development with respect to small and medium scale enterprises (smes);
• To provide research facilities for visiting scholars and practitioners especially from different Afro-Descendant communities of the world in order to enhance the mutual understanding of global strategic issues, common cultural values and endogenous knowledge;
• To undertake collectively and through its chapters with partners such as the UN, the African Union, the Regional economic organisations, business organisation, international organisations, industries and specialized agencies with interests in Africa and the Diaspora;
• To promote through research and advocacy, policies for conflict prevention and innovation in institutional reforms of political and economic governance at all level for the benefits of Africans and Afro-Descendants Communities.
The International Colloquium on Slavery, Slave Trade and their Consequences, held at the Royal Park Hotel, Iloko-Ijesa, Osun State, Nigeria 23 – 26 August, 2010
The International Colloquium on Slavery, Slave Trade and their Consequences was held at the Royal Park Hotel, Iloko-Ijesa, Osun State from 23 to 26 August, 2010. The colloquium which was convened under the auspices of the Centre for Black Culture and International Understanding, Osogbo, Osun State, Nigeria, drew participants from institutions and agencies of government in Nigeria as well as other countries from Africa, Europe, North and South America, Asia, the Middle East and the Caribbean....cont